Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Sea and I



Well hello there loves, it's been quiet on this side of the web....  you must be wondering what had been eating up Darelam... and a little curious on what have I been up to these days? I suppose I could recount the last 15 months but we would need a couple of weeks or (maybe) more to go through the events. But I believe that some moments in the past sometimes are better left untold, until the perfect moment to recount them arrives. I promise I will share with you some accounts of my journeys in the past year and a half but in the mean time, I want to talk about a place that is very close to my heart, no, it's not home but second to that... the sea.

I am not so sure if it is just a coincidence that I am born under the sign of fishes that I am drawn to the sea, with its many mysteries and the endless wonders. The colours from gold to gray to blue and aquamarine, I get so excited to see them that I make sure my girls get to know the sea... the sea have always been one of my main setting when I tell stories for my girls. In my stories,  I imagine lovers from different worlds emerge from the foamy shore to find their place in each others arms. Or sea creatures with wings hopping on top of the waves only to be captured by pirate men and then be saved by the brave hero. Alphie and Noa enjoyed these short sea tales I weave during bedtime, they listen with such enthusiasm that I myself at times caught within the story and get lost in the corals and maze of seaweeds.

When I was young I had this fascination with the sea and its creatures; each summer I would beg my mom or uncles to take me to the beach, and while there; I will get some sea water and examine it like a scientist, I would collect shells to bring home and imagine they came from a mermaid's necklace. My mom noticed how much I love doing this and hearing I want to work with dolphins and whales someday, that she bought me a children's encyclopedia about marine life. Oh how I adored that book ! I tried to memorize the contents; what the planktons are, different types of marine mammals, which ones can breathe both on land and water etc. In highschool I even put in marine biologist as an aspiration hehe, in college I would say it would be Marine Astronaut (lol).

I believe that the sea is within us; our emotions are like its waves, sometimes calm and some other times raging like a storm. Our thoughts are deep and rich whether with creativity or memories. Not to mention; our sweat is salty, and our bodies comprise of morethan 60% of water, the list goes on... !

Today, I live in this Island City, and the most I could get close to the sea or body of water is by a manmade beach and a river, but that's alright, the waters and waves calm me... and now I share that joy with my very own merfolks; two sweet mermaids who can run on sand and grass. Their voice call out to me with love, and they excite me and fill my heart with joy... much like the sea.



No comments:

Post a Comment